Bergamo is a lovely and historic city in Northern Italy’s Lombardy region. It is well-known for its beautiful medieval architecture and diverse cultural heritage. Things to do Bergamo is an excellent alternative for those interested in history or looking for a new trip destination. In this article, we’ll look at some of the best activities to do, places to visit Bergamo and transit alternatives for first-time visitors to Bergamo.
We created this guide with the support of locals in Bergamo to assist you throughout your visit to Italy. You may need to check out these tours to save time during your visit to Bergamo!
Things to do in Bergamo
- Città Alta is Bergamo’s old town, and it is a must-see for any first-time tourist. Beautiful medieval structures line the streets, and the views from the top of the hill are stunning.
- Piazza Vecchia is Città Alta’s main square and a fantastic location to relax and people-watch. It also houses the lovely Palazzo della Ragione and the Torre Civica.
- Visit the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore: Located in the center of Città Alta, this lovely basilica is famed for its spectacular murals and elaborate decorating.
- Attend an Aperitivo event as a local experience to have! Locals love to have Aperitivo before dinner.
- Grab your coffee and enjoy the sunlight in the park just like the locals!
It is believed that couples visiting Porta San Giacomo together will marry each other!
Places to Visit in Bergamo
- Castello di San Vigilio, lovely castle is one of the places to visit Bergamo is located on the Città Alta hilltop and gives breathtaking views of the city. It also houses a small museum where you may learn more about Bergamo’s history.
- Another place to visit Bergamo is the Panorama, you can have lots of pictures to take here!
- Parco dei Colli: If you want to get away from the rush and bustle of the city, this park is a perfect option. It is situated in the hills surrounding Bergamo and offers excellent hiking paths as well as panoramic views.
- Accademia Carrara is one of Northern Italy’s most important art galleries. It houses an extraordinary collection of works by some of Italy’s and Europe’s most important artists.
- You may want to visit Siena and Tuscany area while you are closer and visit vineyards!
Restaurant in Bergamo
- If you want to experience local life, there are typical Italian restaurants in Città Alta that deliver delectable regional cuisine. They are well-known for their excellent service and welcoming employees being one of the things to do Bergamo experience.
- There are excellent restaurants in Città Alta that provide fantastic regional cuisine. It’s also an excellent option to sample some of the region’s products.
- There is Wi-Fi in most restaurants as well as squares and libraries.
Local Tip for Tipping Guide
There is no tipping rule in restaurants, so there is no specific tip amount. Whoever wants, of course, gives. There is only a concept called service fee, and its fee is written in the account to be paid additionally. Everyone has to pay the service fee.
Transportation in Bergamo
- Transportation Bergamo has an excellent public transit system that includes buses and trams. This is a quick and inexpensive method to get about town.
- Mobile applications for transportation Bergamo: Locals in Bergamo utilize a variety of mobile applications to assist them to traverse the city. Google Maps, Citymapper, and Moovit are among the most popular.
Public Transportation in Bergamo
- There is no metro in the city of Bergamo.
- There is a wide bus line and 2 cable cars going to Citta Alta. In order to get on the lifts, you need to get a boarding pass from the kiosk right next to the lift, the same card is also valid on buses, but credit cards are not valid here, you need to pay in cash. In the center, that is, Citta bass, there is an ATB point. They can enter there and buy a single or multiple-use bus card, either as a 1-year subscription or a 1-year subscription.
- Bergamo city is divided into zones as bus lines as zone 1-2-3-4-5-6, you can see the map here. Fees increase according to the distance of the zones. With the new innovation, travel payments can be made with a credit card from the machine inside the bus. Check out the tickets information here.
- For this, the ATB MOBILE application must be downloaded so that the online ticket purchased will appear there. There is a train station for intercity public transportation Bergamo in the heart of the city. Tickets can be bought in all directions from inside the station.
- You can download the OrarioTrain application and buy tickets online from there.
- There are almost no taxis in the city, you can only find them in front of the airport. In general, any taxi application is not used, although it is used very rarely.
Museum Pass Programs in Bergamo
- A “Musei di Bergamo” pass, which enables entrance to many museums and galleries in the city, can also be purchased.
- The students can enjoy discounted price in entrances of museums!
Shopping Areas in Bergamo
- There are numerous boutiques in Città Alta where you may purchase unique gifts and souvenirs.
- Piazza Pontida is another popular shopping area and is home to a number of boutiques selling apparel and footwear.
- Weekly marketplaces like the Mercato delle Scarpe offer a unique shopping experience with a large variety of shoes and leather goods.
- Also, what else? Città Bassa, in the heart of the city, is home to a wide variety of stores and boutiques selling anything from jewelry to clothing.
Mobile Applications Locals Use in Bergamo
- Visit Bergamo app iOS will help you out by answering questions!
- Booking for hotel / hostel reservations can be useful.
- Skyscanner and Ryanair apps are available for flight tickets!
Local Tip for Tourists
At the ATB POINTs and the tourist point opened right in front of the train station, there are brochures showing the city transportation route and introducing the city and showing where to go.
Bergamo is a great city with a lot to see and do. There’s something for everyone, whether you’re interested in history, art, or simply discovering a new place. Bergamo is the ideal destination for your next trip, thanks to its gorgeous medieval architecture, delicious food, and easy public transportation Bergamo alternatives. Make the most of your vacation by taking use of the programs. Don’t forget to download the local smartphone app to aid in your navigation of the city. Travel safely!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many days in Bergamo is enough?
What is Bergamo most known for?
Is 2 days in Bergamo enough?
Is Bergamo worth visiting for a day?